From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Question about making a tarball
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 09:30:47
1 Joerg Schilling wrote:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
5 >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> 1) Better use -cjvpf ("f") takes an argument (the filename of that tar
8 >>> to be crated) so it must be at the end.
9 >>>
10 >> That's why I usually use "tar -cjvp -f blabla.tar.bz2". I always
11 >> seperate options that take an argument from the rest. But -cjvpf works
12 >> too as long as "f" is at the end. This means that if you combine many
13 >> options after a single "-", only one one of them is allowed to take an
14 >> argument; the last one.
17 > You are describing the oddities of the bugs in the command line parser from
18 > gnu tar. Some of the problems are bugs built into the GNU getopt() function,
19 > others are a result from the preprocessing in gnutar.
20 >
21 > tar, ar and ps are the UNIX commands that do not follow the CLI guidelines from
22 > the late 1970s, see:
23 >
24 > http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xcu/tar.html
25 >
26 > and do not use options that are prepended by '-'.
27 >
28 > The origunal UNIX tar just ignores the '-' and parses the options as defined in
29 > 1978.
30 >
31 > Star internally correctly converts the first parameter from the historic style
32 > to something that can be parsed by a modern command line parser such as
33 > getargs(). GNU tar does not correctly convert the parameters...
34 >
35 > Jörg
39 But as was pointed out a while back, star is not on the Gentoo CD. If I
40 had to use that stage4 tarball, it would be while booted from the CD.
41
42 Dale
43