From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New HD monitor stretches everything. How to teach Xorg?
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 02:38:35
1 On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 7:27 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I had to replace an 4:3 Westinghouse monitor this weekend. I got a new
4 > ASUS VH242H, which is very wide. But Xorg is still running 1280x1024,
5 > instead of the monitor's normal 1920x1080, according to xorg logs because of
6 > lack of video memory (using the ATI on the motherboard). I can make the
7 > screen use a 4:3 aspect ratio, so I'm up and running, much better than I
8 > started, but I'd like to do better.
9 >
10 > I guess I've gotta look for a video card, but all I have is PCIX slots, so
11 > I don't want to put a lot of money into it (I'll be upgrading the mobo when
12 > finances permit -- which is not right now.)
13 >
14 > Any ideas?
17 You'd kinda think that since AGP is kinda sorta a beefed up version of PCI,
18 kinda sorta like PCI-X, you ought to be able to find a boatload of cards
19 like this for the cheap on eBay. But finding one is like finding hen's
20 teeth. The only one I've found is a 3.3/5V 32/64bit 33/66MHz ATI card and
21 they're about $US500. The company that makes them does them for multi-head
22 displays such as NOC displays, etc, so if you can't spare the change for a
23 new mobo, then five hundred bucks for a video card in a worn-out bus format
24 is probably out of the question.
25
26 <rant>I've been looking for one for years now because I have this great Dell
27 server that just keeps on running and running but it has these beautiful 64
28 bit PCI-X slots just calling out for a decent video card -- but not
29 AGP!</rant>