From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Latest unstable ntp not generating ntp.drift file.
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 23:34:12
1 On Saturday 08 January 2011 21:45:45 Dale wrote:
2
3 > Now, with ntp, it logs to messages when it syncs, resets the clock
4 > and such. Does chrony do this somewhere too? I have this in my
5 > conf file:
6 [...]
7 > logdir /var/log/chrony
8
9 You need to uncomment the next line too - the one that specifies what to
10 log. Remember that an exclamation mark is a comment marker in
11 chrony.conf.
12
13 > Do I have to create a file for it to log to as well?
14
15 Nope. Just switch logging on, as above. If you have your syslog to
16 output to VT12 you can read its log output there. In my case I use
17 syslog-ng with the default config and VT12 switched on.
18
19 > P. S. I wonder why ntp and openntp didn't work?
20
21 Haven't a clue, but I do remember shuddering at the complexity of
22 configuring ntp, years ago. From reading this thread I get the impression
23 it hasn't improved much since then.
24
25 Here's my chrony.conf, minus comments; gate.ethnet is my gateway box:
26
27 server uk.pool.ntp.org
28 server gate.ethnet
29 maxupdateskew 10
30 driftfile /etc/chrony/chrony.drift
31 keyfile /etc/chrony/chrony.keys
32 commandkey 1
33 dumponexit
34 dumpdir /var/log/chrony
35 initstepslew 30 gate.ethnet
36 logdir /var/log/chrony
37 log measurements statistics tracking rtc
38 allow 192.168.2/24
39 allow 192.168.3/24
40 allow 192.168.4/24
41 logchange 0.5
42 cmdallow 127.0.0.1
43 rtcfile /etc/chrony/chrony.rtc
44 rtconutc
45
46 Incidentally, chronyd logs a "cannot open" error the first time it tries
47 to write to a log or dump file; it seems to be harmless.
48
49 HTH. I'm delighted you got something working!
52 Rgds
53 Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.