From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: sudo in kernel config ?
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 20:49:41
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 09/11/2010 11:35 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>> Apparently, though unproven, at 11:46 on Saturday 11 September 2010,
5 >>> Albert
6 >>> Hopkins did opine thusly:
7 >>>
8 >>>> On Sat, 2010-09-11 at 10:24 +0200, Stéphane Guedon wrote:
9 >>>>> few months ago, I read linux kernel in a nutschell(sic), and the
10 >>>>> author
11 >>>>> wrote we shouldn't do kernel operations (config and build) as root.
12 >>>> I call bullsh*t. I've been compiling kernels for 17 years and for the
13 >>>> most part have done it as root without any problems.
14 >>> Same here.
15 >>>
16 >>> The root user (sometimes portage) creates /usr/src/linux-*
17 >>>
18 >>> Someone tell me again exactly how user alan is supposed to build those
19 >>> sources?
20 >>>
21 >>
22 >> If they are accessible by a user, couldn't a user then edit or add
23 >> something that would then cause a security problem? If they can edit
24 >> them and no one know it, then root comes along and builds a shiney new
25 >> kernel with a really nice security hole.
26 >>
27 >> Glad only root can get to the sources. ;-)
28 >
29 > No, any user can't edit them; only the user you assign the files to.
30 > If you assign them to root, only root can edit them. If you assign
31 > them to kerneluser, only kerneluser can edit them.
32 >
33 > This is Unix 101 :)
37 My point was, if the sources are say in the user group, then any user
38 can edit them? Right now, they are in the root group and owned my root
39 which for security reasons is a good idea. That way a regular user
40 can't edit or modify the kernel sources.
41
42 Dale
43