From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] is multi-core really worth it?
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 07:21:15
1 Hello,
2
3 On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 12:52 AM, Raffaele Belardi
4 <raffaele.belardi@××.com> wrote:
5 > Hi,
6 >
7 > rebuilding system and world with gcc-7.2.0 on a 6-core AMD CPU I have the impression that
8 > most of the ebuilds limit parallel builds to 1, 2 or 3 threads. I'm aware it is only an
9 > impression, I did not spend the night monitoring the process, but nevertheless every time
10 > I checked the load was very low.
13 Assuming all of your compilation is on a RAM disk, there are two main
14 bottlenecks that are easy to spot: network access (downloading new
15 packages) and dependency chokepoints (packages must be compiled in a
16 chain). Other potential chokepoints like disk access are negligible in
17 my experience, though for one merge I did have two or three ebuilds
18 fighting for disk IO "lock up" a system.
19
20 If all dependencies have been satisfied on your system I invite you to
21 merge a bunch of packages at once (@world?), you should notice greater
22 parallelism.
23
24 > Does anyone have real-world statistics of CPU usage based on gentoo world build?
27 I've considered ways to gather these statistics off and on over the
28 years, but it is easy to start sinking a lot of time into it. It is
29 possible the data you want exists, but I have not found any extant
30 solution involving portage that provides that detail of logging.*
31
32 Cheers,
33 R0b0t1
36 * Someone will prove me wrong in 3... 2... 1...