From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 12:30:57
1 On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 03:42:01AM -0500, Dale wrote:
4 > As someone else posted, some folks have different mount options for /usr
5 > that they do for others partitions. For me, I just want to keep it
6 > seperate so that I can adjust things with LVM if I need to. Something I
7 > have done a couple times I might add just since I started using LVM a
8 > few years ago.
9 >
10 > Dale
11
12 You are welcome to keep it separate. What you're being told by the Gentoo
13 devs, specifically WilliamH, is that the Gentoo devs can no longer support
14 early mount of /usr separate from / and if you choose to keep that, your
15 system is going to require an initramfs to boot.
16
17 Just that simple.
18
19 All the "we don't want them shoving whatever down our throats" arguments are a
20 waste of time. You have been warned over 30 days in advance.
21
22 This does not mean that on November 1 your system will not be able to boot.
23 Its simply means that beginning November 1, Gentoo devs are not required to
24 jump through hoops to make apps work on systems with /usr separate from /.
25
26 Now, what are you going to do? That's the question.
27
28 1 - keep ranting about "them" and what "they are doing to me"?
29 2 - move your /usr under / ?
30 3 - learn HOW-TO make and install an initramfs?
31 --
32 Happy Penguin Computers >')
33 126 Fenco Drive ( \
34 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
36 662-269-2706 662-205-6424
37 http://happypenguincomputers.com/
38
39 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
40 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
41 A: Top-posting.
42 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
43
44 Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting