From: Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Apache + Per User Directory configuration
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 22:25:13
1 On Monday 01 May 2006 12:22, Ognjen Bezanov wrote:
2 > I have spent most of the day getting per user web serving to work
3 > (/home/$user/public_html => http://server/~$user) but was constantly
4 > getting "401 Forbidden" errors with apache2.
5 >
6 > After lots of hunting I found that you have to set the permissions for the
7 > user directories to 755 (a+rx). So now it works, but all the users can see
8 > each others home directories, which is unacceptable for this server.
9 >
10 > So I am here to ask if anyone cen recommend a more secure way of doing
11 > this. I want each users home directory readable only by that user (no other
12 > users) but that apache can still serve without a "Forbidden" error.
13
14 Make all users part of the same group.
15 Allow users (u) rwX, group (g) nothing, and others (o) rX, or
16 u+rwX,g-rwx,o+rX.
17 This allows everyone to read files and enter directories, except those in the
18 same group.
21 Mike Williams
22 --
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list