From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Serious stability problems, including freezes
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 06:17:36
1 Alexander Puchmayr schrieb:
2 > Hi there!
3 >
4 > My freshly setup homeserver has serious stability problem, which make the
5 > the machine absolutely unuseable as home server.
6 >
7 [...]
8 >
9 > The problem is, when I copy large amount of data via nfs to the server, then
10 > the logs get filled with entries like this:
11 >
12 [...]
13 >
14 > Sometimes its kswap0, nfsd, swapper, and a lot of other progs causing it.
15 >
16 > However, the systems runs without any problem until it has enough physical
17 > memory. If I copy larger amounts of data (e.g. typical dvd-iso images of
18 > ~4GB), then the log gets filled. Today's output was >65MB :-(
19 > So far, I think these messages are just annoying but do no further harm.
20 >
21 > The second problem is that the network controler (rtl8169) seems to timeout
22 > on TX, which is very bad if it happens during renewing your dhcp-lease :-(
23 > the message looks like
24 >
25 [...]
26 >
27 > I don't know whether the first issue has anything todo with the second one.
28 >
29 > The worst thing however is an occasional freeze of the whole system, which
30 > happens very likely when there is high network load over nfs. If that
31 > happens, I have a blank console, no network, no keyboard, nothing. Not even
32 > sysrq seems to work, which makes it pretty hard to tell what has happened.
33 > After resetting the machine, there is nothing suspicious in the logs (it
34 > just ends).
35 >
36 > Does anyone have suggestions?
39 Do you have a spare network adapter, maybe an older 100MBit PCI card?
40 Maybe we should rule out a hardware fault on your ethernet chipset first.