From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Partitioning strategy...?
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 08:30:18
1 On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 09:02:37 +0100
2 Róbert Čerňanský <hslists2@××××××.sk> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 00:01:07 +0100
5 > Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
6 >
7 > > pvcreate /dev/sda5
8 > > vgcreate myvg /dev/sda5
9 > > lvcreate -n usr -L 10G myvg
10 > > mke2fs -j /dev/myvg/usr
11 > >
12 > > Of course, just using /dev/sda5 for /usr is simpler. But what if
13 > > this turns out to be too small? With so many partitions I would
14 > > think this is very likely to happen sooner or later. With LVM, all
15 > > you'd have to do is:
16 > >
17 > > lvresize -L +1G /dev/myvg/usr
18 > > resize2fs /dev/myvg/usr
19 >
20 > Here I do not understand from where this +1G is taken? Don't you have
21 > to make something smaller by 1G first?
22
23 The 1G is taken from the free pool of unused extents. This assumes you
24 have free extents, if not, then you do need to free some up somwehere
25 else first.
26
27 Using LVM is a lot like using a SAN - don't allocate everything right
28 at the beginning, rather give each lv what it needs today and grow it
29 as space needs change. This way you always have free extents available
30 for use.
35 Alan McKinnnon
36 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com