From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Computer does not boot
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2015 09:33:03
1 Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> [15-02-01 10:04]:
2 > On 01/31/15 23:42, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 > [snip]
5 > >>>>>
6 > >>>>Hi Joseph,
7 > >>>>
8 > >>>>may be only a accidental coincidence...
9 > >>>>One thing I can think of is an empty bios coin cell.
10 > >>>If that battery is flat, the bios will complain settings are gone.
11 > >>>Why would that cause grub to fail?
12 > >>Dont know the reason...I only experienced it several times...
13 > >>
14 > >>Regards
15 > >>Meino
16 > >>
17 > >>
18 > >
19 > >I've had it happen to me once too. In my case, the BIOS just went
20 > >back
21 > >to default settings. The only real change was the loss of the clock
22 > >setting but it didn't complain, it just booted. After I replaced the
23 > >battery, I went back and changed my settings to what I remembered them
24 > >being.
25 > >
26 > >Since then, I change that battery every few years, while the system is
27 > >running so that I don't lose any settings at all. ;-) Be careful.
28 > >
29 > >Dale
30 >
31 > Is there a way to backup bios setting to a text file etc.; beside
32 > special Windows utility?
33 >
34 > --
35 > Joseph
38 Depends on the mobo. Mine is a ASUS Cross Hair Formula IV. That BIOS
39 is able to store several BIOS configurations.
40
41 Best regards,
42 Meino