From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] jwhois quit working
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 14:05:01
1 Has anyone else noticed jwhois queries to have quit working?
2
3 I get
4 root # jwhois 128.111.24.43
5 [Querying whois.arin.net]
6 [Error creating socket]
7 [Unable to connect to remote host]
8
9 If I change the default server, still get the same message.
10
11 Changing to alpha style notation:
12 jwhois ftp.ucsb.edu
13
14 I get a bunch of blab about
15 [...]
16 A Web interface for the .EDU EDUCAUSE
17 Whois Server is available at: http://whois.educause.net
18 [...]
19 no match
20
21 The address is well known and registered and a regular whois finds it
22 immediately:
23
24 whois 128.111.24.43
25 OrgName: University of California, Santa Barbara
26 OrgID: UCSB
27 [...]
28
29 Far as I know jwhois was working until very recently and the current
30 failures may have started following an -uD world although as eix
31 reports below... jwhois has not been updated since 10/2007 and there have
32 been no update pkgs in that time..
33
34 eix reports:
35 eix -I jwhois
36 [I] net-misc/jwhois
37 Available versions: 3.2.3-r1 4.0 {idn nls}
38 Installed versions: 4.0(12:05:23 10/07/07)(nls)
39 Homepage: http://www.gnu.org/software/jwhois/
41 recursive queries
42
43 Can anyone tell what the problem is?