From: Nilesh Govindarajan <contact@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Motherboard support?
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 12:23:29
1 On 09/29/2011 08:18 AM, Dale wrote:
2 > Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
3 >> On Thu 29 Sep 2011 06:42:42 AM IST, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> That's debian HCL, what about Gentoo? We compile the kernel ourselves
6 >>> man.
7 >>> It would be better if we don't use debian/Ubuntu HCL to decide HW for
8 >>> other distros, they're most popular ones and have lot of support from
9 >>> hardware manufacturers, hence good support for hardware using
10 >>> propreitary drivers which is seldom present in other distros.
11 >>>
12 >> I just checked that HCL:
13 >> http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/Giga-byte/GA-880GM-USB3
14 >> It seems things are supported since linux-2.6.25, we're now using 3.0.4
15 >> and above. Should be OK right?
18 > As a general rule, hardware support is in the kernel. It shouldn't
19 > matter much whether it is Gentoo, Redhat, Debian or any other distro.
20 > It just matters that the kernel supports the hardware. I would imagine
21 > that anything listed there as working is supported by Linux with a up to
22 > date kernel. It all comes down to the kernel. By the way, the kernel
23 > tested against is listed in the top right hand corner if I recall
24 > correctly. You seem to have noticed that too. If the mobo is a new
25 > design or new chipset, try to get at least that version of kernel.
28 I know that it is actually in the kernel, but some companies like Nvidia
29 package propreitary drivers only for Ubuntu/Debian, so it at times makes
30 sense to check it out in detail. I have had lot of fights over this
31 point on twitter with friends, in fact it resulted in myself getting
32 blocked (and unblocked later hehe).
33
34 > If it shows things are working for the mobo you are checking on, it
35 > should work fine. I think the 880 chipset has been out a while so it
36 > should be really stable by now. I seem to recall it was out when I
37 > bought my new setup but was still getting worked on for drivers.
38 >
39 > By the way, it is always somewhat wise to buy things that have been out
40 > for a while. If you are building a spare or something to play with,
41 > then newer stuff is fine. I say this because some very new hardware may
42 > not have all the kinks worked out. Unless you really really need the
43 > latest and greatest, pick a slightly older setup. When I picked mine,
44 > it was about a year old. That is usually plenty of time to let the
45 > drivers stabilize. It can also save you some money too.
46 >
47 > Now to be nosy, how many cores and how much ram you planning to put in
48 > this new rig? I have a 4 core 3.2Ghz CPU with 16Gbs of ram. Compared
49 > to my older AMD 2500+ with 2Gbs of ram, the new rig is super fast. My
50 > old rig was named smoker because at the time it was built, it was
51 > smoking. My new rig is named fireball. I guess lightening will be
52 > next. After that, someone will just have to bury me. Not much is
53 > faster than lightening. lol
54 >
55 > Dale
56 >
57 > :-) :-)
58 >
59 > P. S. If you get your things selected and want someone to double check,
60 > I'd be glad too. I posted mine on here to make sure I hadn't missed
61 > anything. The mobo, CPU and ram are the most essential things that have
62 > to be right. You have some wobble room on the rest. Also, Gigabyte has
63 > a list of supported ram and CPUs on their website. That comes in handy.
66 Quad Core 3.2 Ghz with 16 GB of RAM that's big piece man. Well as I said
67 earlier, I'm thinking of that 1075T thing and may be 4-8 GB of RAM
68 (depends on cost, because I've to get myself a 22 or 24 inch LCD as
69 well), but since bulldozers are going to be launched on 12th October,
70 I'll prefer to wait, they have tons of new virtualization-related
71 features. Will save me from installing windows directly onto the machine
72 to play games (I usually don't, but after getting such a powerful
73 machine, may be) and troubling it for no reason with that piece of bullshit.
76 Nilesh Govindarajan
77 http://nileshgr.com