From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Contradictionary behaviour of SMART on hds ?!?
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 10:12:57
1 Hi,
2
3 after finding a bad sector on my hd (see previous thread) a read a lot
4 stuff about SMART, smartctl and such to determine wether and how
5 severe is a bad sector and how to cope with it.
6
7 There is (at least ;) one thing I dont understand:
8
9 On the one hand, the surface test (extended offline and such) aborts
10 as soon the first read fgailure happens.
11
12 On the other hand it is said: If the count of bad sectors increases
13 over time it is time to change the hd.
14
15 How can the second happen, if the first is true???
16
17 Best regards,
18 mcc