From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] squid-cache for an internet-cafe
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 06:41:39
1 On 13 October 2005 19:30, Gentoo Shadow wrote:
2 > dear friends,
3 >
4 > i have a small Internet cafe in my home town. so it powered by a 128Kbps
5 > leased line. but its speed is vary from time to time. so i decide to deploy
6 > a squid-cache server. i already have a spare p3 800Mhz,256MB SD-RAM,40GB
7 > 7200rpm hdd machine. so
8 >
9 > 1) is this configurations enough for my deployment? if not pls advice me to
10 > implement a good cache server.
11
12 That box should do it. I would add more ram, though. As much as you can fit
13 into it. The more squid can cache in ram, the faster it is.
16 > 2) is it possible to take an advantage by deploying a squid-cache server
17 > for an Internet cafe?
18
19 Depending on your users habits, you will save between 5 and 30% of your
20 traffic. You have to bear in mind, though, that a large number of the most
21 popular web sites are non-cacheable. News sites, for instance.
22
23 Uwe
26 95% of all programmers rate themselves among the top 5% of all software
27 developers. - Linus Torvalds
28
29 http://www.uwix.iway.na (last updated: 20.06.2004)
30 --