From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Deleted kdevelop ebuilds
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 09:40:35
1 On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 03:07:34 -0500
2 Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com> wrote:
5 > I've been using kdevelop-4.7.0 (unstable) for a while and it was
6 > working just fine. Then about a couple weeks ago it's ebuild got
7 > deleted from the portage tree and replaced with kdevelop-4.7.1 which
8 > is broken (I have issues with remote debugging).
9 >
10 > Why does a good ebuild gets replaced with a broken one? Is there any
11 > way to make sure that packages that I'm using don't get removed from
12 > the portage tree or at least that the package doesn't get downgraded
13 > automatically. Right now if I install an unstable package by
14 > keywording a specific version and it gets deleted you get downgraded
15 > the next time you run emerge -vauDN so you have no simple way of
16 > going back to your working configuration since the ebuild is gone.
19 You can look in the packages Changelog in the portage tree, perhaps
20 there's an entry there explaining why the old version was removed.
21
22 ebuilds are never truly lost, if you still have it installed the ebuild
23 is stored in /var/db. If not, you can find it in the gentoo attic
24 (google can help), download it and put it in your local overlay. Mask
25 the versions you don't want and portage will ensure your local copy
26 stays installed.
27
28 Alan