From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] InitRAMFS - boot expert sought
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 21:40:18
1 On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 11:20:25 -0400
2 Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, Mar 27 2012, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >
6 > > All you need is a decent amount of free disk space as you will
7 > > shuffle things around just like in that 15 pieces game.
8 >
9 > This sounds encouraging. My disk is less than half full so space is
10 > not an issue.
11 >
12 > > Assuming / is the first (or second) partition on a disk:
13 >
14 > Question. For me, / is actually /dev/sda5 (sda4 is the extended
15 > partition, the three in front are one dell's special, and two for
16 > windows, the latter only used when contacting dell for diagnostics).
17 > But I think this difference is not material.
18 >
19 > > Measure how much data is on the file system.
20 > > Measure how much data is on the /usr file system.
21 >
22 > Right
23 >
24 > > Move partitions after / on the disk out of the way creating enough
25 > > free space to contain current / and /usr.
26 >
27 > Question. /dev/sda7 is LVM and that is used for /usr, /local, et al.
28 > How do I move an LVM partition? I could make plain partitions and
29 > just copy /usr, /opt, et al., each to a separate partition. Is that
30 > the way?
31 >
32 > > Enlarge / partition, enlarge the file system on it, copy contents
33 > > of /usr there.
34 >
35 > / is ext3, which I believe can be extended live. Or do you recommend
36 > using a gentoo install CD (or equivalent)?
37 >
38 > > Arrange the rest of your disk the way you want it (either with or
39 > > without LVM, both are easy enough to do).
40 > > Move the rest of your data back to it's final destination.
41 > > Delete any last remnants of the old /usr partition.
42 >
43 > This part seems straight forward and not scary since I still would
44 > have the newly created and copied /usr, /opt, et al. partitions in
45 > case something goes wrong.
46 >
47 > So the result would be
48 >
49 > / (including /usr) on one partition (not LVM)
50 > /local, /opt et al., each as separate LVs on my recreated LVM
51 > partition
52 >
53 > I believe this is one of the configurations others have adopted,
54 > which I consider a plus. The other favored configuration is to keep
55 > the current partition scheme and use an initramfs via genkernel,
56 > dracut, or Neil's "in kernel config" soln.
57 >
58 > I would suspect there are second order improvements such as moving
59 > /usr/portage and /usr/src to LVM with symlinks left behind in /usr,
60 > but I am now just concerned to see if I have the basic plan correct.
61 > Have I?
62
63 What you describe sounds ok, but I'd still hesitate to give a definite
64 answer without a little more data.
65
66 If you send over the output of
67
68 df -h
69 du -shx for each partition you have
70 fdisk -l
71 pvdisplay
72 vgdisplay
73 lvdisplay
74
75 I'll be happy to go over the numbers and offer an opinion.
78 Alan McKinnnon
79 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com