From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can't stop the panic on eeepc
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 19:39:16
1 On Thursday 07 May 2009 18:48:15 Saphirus Sage wrote:
2 > I've never managed to successfully boot a gentoo laptop without initrd.
3
4 I've never managed to successfully boot a gentoo laptop with initrd.
5
6 initrd's are there for the case where the distro builder does not know what
7 the hardware is beforehand. Like binary distros - they must boot of almost
8 anything so all modules must be detected and loaded at boot time.
9
10 Gentoo, almost by definition, is used in cases where the builder does know
11 what the hardware is - [s]he usually owns it. So you can dispense with initrd
12 and simply compile in the modules required to boot.
13
14 There's always exceptions of course - booting off a soft-raid volume, Sabayon,
15 building one master copy of gentoo to use throughout your organization with a
16 range of hardware.
17
18 And of course there's always our very own elephant in the room - genkernel.
21 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com