From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] msfonts
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 10:53:20
1 On Tuesday 27 April 2010 07:45:23 Stroller wrote:
2 > On 26 Apr 2010, at 20:10, Paul Hartman wrote:
3 > > 2010/4/26 <fajfusio@××.pl>:
4 > >> Hello
5 > >>
6 > >> I'm looking for the following fonts.
7 > >> Could you give me some indications of what packages contain the
8 > >> following
9 > >> fonts.
10 > >
11 > > Some from corefonts, others are probably copyrighted by microsoft.
12 >
13 > Corefonts themselves are copyrighted by Microsoft. Microsoft simply
14 > chose to release them at no charge.
17 Once, long long ago, Microsoft released the 4 core fonts - Arial, Verdana, and
18 two out of the serif fonts Courier, Times New Roman and Georgia - as free to
19 use, free to redistribute. The intent seems to have been to allow developers
20 to ship these fonts with their apps just in case the user didn't already have
21 them.
22
23 That license has since changed, but the original license is still valid for
24 anyone that received it. So those fonts are still freely available from anyone
25 that chooses to mirror them.
28 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com