From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev and usb stick/hdd
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 20:30:59
1 Hello Alan McKinnon,
2
3 > It's only a matter of time and relates to how flash devices work. After
4 > many many writes to the same storage cell, it degrades. The good ones
5 > are rated to about 100,000 writes per cell. The cheap and nasty ones
6 > can be as low as 10,000 writes. You would be amazed how quickly 50,000
7 > writes can happen to the same cell when used as swap for example
8
9 It's worse than that. The vfat driver updates the FAT after every 4K
10 block (or at least it did a few kernel versions ago), so copying a large
11 file can result in tens of thousands of writes to the same location. I
12 broke a GB stick in a couple of months by writing 700MB files to it.
16 Neil Bothwick
17
18 I don't have any solution, but I certainly admire the problem.