From: burlingk@×××××××××.mil
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] 2 to 3??
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 10:12:40
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: b.n. [mailto:brullonulla@×××××.com]
3 > Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 6:29 PM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2 to 3??
8 > Personally I'm quite happy with both GPLv2 and GPLv3.
9 > Frankly, my only
10 > real, serious concern is the fact that the two licences are
11 > incompatible.
12 >
13 > The fact compatibility has not explicitly allowed sounds
14 > plain crazy to
15 > me.
16 >
17 > When I tried asking about how to have some degree of compatibility
18 > between GPLv2 and GPLv3 in code I write, everyone told me
19 > "just license it under GPLv2 or any later version". The problem
20 > is that in this case I have to blindly trust the FSF about anything
21 > that will come out of it.
24 That honestly is the only real way to make them compatible,
25 to use the "or any later version" clause.
26
27 Version 3 only allows for very specific modifications to itself.
28 Version 2 was a little more forgiving.
29
30 Version 3 says "Here is a list of optional clauses."
31
32 There are other options, but they make it into a new license.
33 --
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list