From: Simon <turner25@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GPRS connection through usb
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 23:26:59
1 > You do NOT need PPP, but you do need a fairly recent kernel (>= 2.6.27 at
2 > least, not sure of the details). You need at least CONFIG_USB_RNDIS_WLAN as
3 > m or y. With udev and 'm' things work mostly automatically on the linux
4 > side. On the phone you enable advanced networking (or else you will see the
5 > phone as ttyUSB? and you will need ppp).
6
7 This is done, no prob.
8
9 > Then you plug in and run "dmesg -c"
10 > until things quiet down. You should see a new eth? interface. Enable
11 > internet sharing on the phone, and you should see in "dmesg -c" that your
12 > new ethernet interface disappears and reappears. If it does not reappear
13 > your kernel is too old.
14
15 doing `ifconfig -a` only shows the interfaces that were there before,
16 no changes here. the dmesg output contain USB debug info, but nothing
17 about interfaces or networking.
18
19 I believe I'm missing another kernel config somewhere?
20 Btw, this is with 2.6.29.1...
21
22 Thanks!