From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gnome3 haters: you should try the new cinnamon-1.6.1
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 23:28:42
1 I'm back in gnome heaven again, thanks to cinnamon-1.6.1 :)
2
3 First I'd like to thank Canek for his generous help to all of us
4 here who have been struggling with gnome-shell. I'm sure I'll
5 try gnome-shell again when it's more mature, but for now I'm
6 sticking with cinnamon. It's a giant step backward and I love it :)
7
8 The newly ported system-monitor panel applet for cinnamon is what
9 convinced me to switch -- it now looks and behaves exactly like the
10 old gnome2 version.
11
12 There are a couple of things you should know if you've never tried
13 cinnamon before. (These may already be documented in the gentoo
14 wiki but I haven't looked, which is why I had to figure them out
15 for myself :)
16
17 Once you have cinnamon emerged, how do you actually start it? Just
18 put this line in your .xinitrc:
19 exec ck-launch-session gnome-session --session=cinnamon
20
21 BTW I tried deleting the ck-launch-session. That broke auto-mounting
22 of removable media like usb sticks, so I put it back. I'm sure this
23 will change rapidly when systemd becomes the default, but systemd is
24 not mature enough yet for my taste so I'm sticking with openrc for now.
25
26 Second, and very important for the system-monitor panel applet, is
27 that networkmanager must be running for the network activity to be
28 visible in the applet. That took me a few days to work out :p
29
30 Another big change in the panel applet is that you must turn on the
31 "Panel edit mode" before you can add any other applets to it. That's
32 done by right-clicking on the panel. Then turn edit mode off again
33 before the panel will work as expected. That's very confusing if
34 you have to find it by trial-and-error ;)
35
36 I'd be interested to hear other opinions about cinnamon.