From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mounting a usb device
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 12:52:51
1 On 30 Jun 2009, at 11:21, dhk wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >> Finally, can you even install Linux on this scanner? Chances are its
4 >> processor is ARM - Linux will run on that architecture, but you
5 >> won't be
6 >> able to chroot in from your x86 box & install GRUB.
7 >>
8 >> Chances are that this scanner is some kind of rebadged HP iPaq or
9 >> something, onto which Linux has been / can be cludged onto, but you
10 >> seem
11 >> to be making a lot of assumptions ahead of time.
14 > I done have a Windows box so I don't know how it looks on that.
15 > However, I already build the arm cross compiler and have a kernel to
16 > install on it, the only thing is I don't know how to reach it. Now I
17 > just want to know how to get the kernel to the device. This may be a
18 > bigger project than I thought.
19
20 Having managed to cross-compile the kernel is a pretty good start. I
21 couldn't do that much.
22
23 But you need to determine stuff like how the bootloader works on this
24 device.
25
26 As I said, chances are that the device is not completely unique. If it
27 is simply a rebadged HP iPaq or something then efforts (at the very
28 least) to install Linux on it will surely be documented. First thing
29 to do is learn all you can about the hardware.
30
31 Stroller.