From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fsck won't work if ac cord not attached?!
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 17:38:43
1 On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 8:37 PM, Maxim Wexler <maxim.wexler@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi group,
3 >
4 > When my netbook boots under battery power w/o the ac adapter connected
5 > I get this warning msg in the boot  window: 'Skipping fsck due to not
6 > being an ac adapter'. Chaos ensues. The warning appears in
7 > /etc/init.d/fsck.
8 >
9 > How do I fix this? Some option in /etc/conf.d/fsck?
10 >
11 > If you look for gentoo bug 291654 you get to a page that's difficult
12 > to read, something wonky with the xml, but it describes this problem
13 > and adds that it's fixed "upstream".
14 >
15 > I'm using ext2 with the journal option, openrc and baselayout-2. My
16 > latest world update was two days ago.
17 >
18 > maxim
19
20 Skipping fsck at boot, when the system's on battery, would appear to
21 be hard coded in /etc/init.d/fsck ... and the function it uses to
22 check is completely independent of userspace tools related to PM. The
23 only thing it checks is the /proc tree. You can make it ignore all of
24 that and force a check by booting with forcefsck on your kernel
25 command line or by creating the file /forcefsck (simply using touch
26 should suffice).
27
28 You say "Chaos ensues" ... in what way? Further errors, failure to
29 boot, file system corruption, or...? The problem isn't likely rooted
30 in the fact that it doesn't run an fsck when the system's booting on
31 battery, but rather that you have some more pressing problem that
32 should be addressed.
35 Poison [BLX]
36 Joshua M. Murphy