From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nvidia kernel module API version mismatch
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 11:54:07
1 On Thursday, March 15, 2018 12:09:23 PM CET Aleksander Okonski wrote:
2 > Hey,
3 >
4 > I have run into a strange problem with my nvidia drivers and gentoo. I am
5 > currently running kernel 4.14.14 and I upgraded my
6 > x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers to 390.42 from 390.25. Once the new drivers were
7 > installed I rebooted my laptop. Once rebooted I was unable to start the
8 > xorg server using startx and was greeted with errors. The
9 > /var/logs/xorg.0.log said that the problem was with the kernel module.
10 > Looking at dmesg I see that I am getting the error:
11 >
12 > NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 390.42, but this kernel
13 > module has version 390.25. please make sure that this kernel module and all
14 > NVIDIA driver components have the same version.
15 >
16 > I therefor thought that maybe I forgot to "emerge @module-rebuild" so I ran
17 > that and rebooted to make sure that everything was ok. However I am still
18 > getting the same problem.
19 >
20 > Looking at /usr/src/linux it is pointing to the correct kernel of 4.14.14
21 > and running "modinfo nvidia" it shows that "filename:
22 > /lib/modules/4/14/14-gentoo/video/nvidia.ko" and that version is 390.42.
23 > The other nvidia modules (nvidia-drm, nvidia-modeset, and nvidia-uvm) show
24 > that they are built for the correct kernel and that they are also version
25 > 390.42.
26 >
27 > I have tried to debug this issue however all the recourse that I was able
28 > to find mostly said to reboot or perform rmmod nvidia then modprobe nvidia.
29 > However when I try to rmmod nvidia it is dependent on nvidia-modeset and
30 > nvidia-drm. Trying to rmmod nvidia-drm will not work as I get the error
31 > "rmmod error: module nvidia_drm in in use".
32 >
33 > I therefor cannot understand why and where the error is coming from as it
34 > seems like the kernel has the correct nvidia modules loaded. Any ideas on
35 > how to fix it or any other suggestions?
36 >
37 > Thanks,
38 > Aleks
39
40 Do you use an initramfs? And if yes, does it maybe contain the nvidia module?
43 Joost