From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to configure thochpad sensitivity (using hal)?
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 03:55:19
1 On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 04:52:39AM +0000, Stroller wrote
2
3 > You claim to be "a control freak" but you seem to be doing this to
4 > avoid the "chore" of properly inspecting USE flags each time you
5 > emerge. If you `emerge --pretend` before every update you make,
6 > you would see what's changed! What's the point in running `emerge
7 > --pretend` if you don't look at it!?!? Further to the aside in
8 > the email I sent a minute or two ago, all the changed USE flags in
9 > Portage's output show up in bright yellow or green, BTW, so they're
10 > easy to spot.
11
12 Actually, I do run "emerge -pv --update world" before doing the real
13 thing. As I mentioned in another email, my minimalist approach to USE
14 flags occasionally results in emerge complaining that application A
15 requires that application B be emarged with a flag that I don't have
16 enabled. In that case, I do have to do something. I always take a
17 quick scan to see what has changed. I realize that being a
18 control-freak and micro-managing my system takes a bit of extra work,
19 but it's worth it for me. "Robo-emerging" is what looks risky to me.
22 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>