From: "Timothy A. Holmes" <tholmes@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] A couple projects on my laptop
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 13:07:50
1 > Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
2 >
3 > > Hi folks
4 > >
5 > > I have a couple of issues on my laptop that I would like to get
6 wrapped
7 > > up in the easiest method possible
8 > >
9 > > 1. Flashcards / memory sticks
10 > > - Right now -- in order to mount my camera cards / thumb drives
11 > > -- I have to become root -- its easy, but an annoyance - I have
12 looked
13 > > at automount and that is FAR more problems than im willing to go
14 through
15 > > (the shortest set of instructions ive seen so far for automount is
16 like
17 > > 3 pages), so if I could get it set up so that I can just do the
18 mount
19 > > commands as my user instead of having to su it would be nice
20 >
21 > Google for "gentoo dbus" or "gentoo hal". You want three programs.
22 > Hal, D-Bus and ivman. Hal and gentoo are real easy, you basically
23 > emerge and have them start at boot. ivman is the app that listens for
24 > events and will carry out actions in a nice and easy xml file. There
25 is
26 > a system wide config and a per-user config. You can tell it to launch
27 > totem/xine/mplayer if a DVD is inserted or mount your camera, usb key,
28 > etc.
29 >
30 > > 2. Energy saver thingy
31 > > - after about 10 minutes or so of inactivity, the screen shuts
32 > > off under power saver -- I cant seem to find how to prevent this
33 from
34 > > happening, and could use some guidance
35 >
36 > Is it a BIOS thing? What kind of laptop? I have a new Toshiba laptop
37 > and Toshiba did away with a real BIOS for some custom one with very
38 few
39 > settings.
40 >
41 > > 3. I need a good VPN Client with easy gui
42 > > - right now our school has a VPN set up on the cisco pix that
43 > > works beautifully with a Microsoft VPN connection on a windows box,
44 I
45 > > need to be able to access this with my gentoo laptop as well
46 >
47 > I can't help here. I have to use a Nortel VPN client. Their Linux
48 > version just doesn't work. I paid $100 for it! My only option has
49 been
50 > to use VMWare and vpn into work that way. I needed VMWare anyway for
51 MS
52 > Dev stuff. I think I read somewhere that it is pretty easy to connect
53 > to ciso VPN with Linux. A quick eix search shows these ebuilds:
54 >
55 > jim@kaleb $ eix -Ss -c cisco
56 > [N] dev-perl/Net-Telnet-Cisco (): Automate telnet sessions w/
57 > routers&switches
58 >
59 > [N] net-analyzer/ipcad (): IP Cisco Accounting Daemon
60 >
61 > [N] net-analyzer/ndsad (): Cisco netflow probe from libpcap, ULOG,
62 > tee/divert sources.
63 >
64 > [N] net-misc/cisco-aironet-client-utils (): Cisco Aironet Client
65 Utilities
66 >
67 > [N] net-misc/cisco-vpnclient-3des (): Cisco VPN Client (3DES)
68 >
69 > [N] net-misc/vpnc (): Free client for Cisco VPN routing software
70 >
71 > > 4. I need to be able to use a USB to Serial dongle to talk to my
72 > > switches -- the adapters that I have are Triplite ones and I do have
73 the
74 > > driver disk for windows -- along with this, I need a good
75 communications
76 > > program (equivalent to hyperterm ) to use with them to talk to my
77 > > switches and to my UPS
78 >
79 > I never used one. However I just compiled my kernel and there seems
81 > be a whole bunch. Run make menuconfig and take a look at:
82 >
83 > Device Drivers -> USB support -> USB Serial Converter support
84 >
85 > > Thanks folks - any pointers and/or suggestions are gladly welcomed
86
87 [Timothy A. Holmes]
88
89 Hi Jim -- thanks for the response
90
91 The card mounting stuff looks good, but is gonna require more time than
92 I have right now to spend to set it up -- I will file it for future
93 refrence.
94
95 As far as the VPN Stuff - unfortunately, this is a cisco pix 501, and
96 from what I can tell, it doesn't use the standard protocols (sadly) I
97 tried the cisco client on another box and it just sat there and looked
98 at me
99
100 Thanks for the tip on the kernel stuff - I'll check into it when I do my
101 next kernel build -- (something I avoid like the plague) --
102
103 TIM
106 Timothy A. Holmes
107 IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher
108
109 Medina Christian Academy
110 A Higher Standard...
111