From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network failed and weird error message
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2013 21:42:40
1 On Sun, Oct 06, 2013 at 01:36:50PM -0500, Dale wrote:
2 >
3 > Well, I rebuilt the kernel and removed the OHCI and UHCI. When I
4 > rebooted, it couldn't see my UPS and nut couldn't start its services.
5 > So, it appears that mine must be "ancient" hardware. My messages file
6 > is still full of the same error after this change. That would be adding
7 > back the OHCI part.
8 >
9 > BTW, I didn't have XHCI enabled so maybe now some things will be faster
10 > when using USB ports. ;-)
11 >
12 > Is it safe to disable this and will this kill the messages: USB verbose
13 > debug messages
14 >
15 > This is a grep of USB stuff.
16 >
17 > root@fireball / # zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i hci
18 > CONFIG_SATA_AHCI=y
19 > # CONFIG_SATA_AHCI_PLATFORM is not set
20 > # CONFIG_SATA_ACARD_AHCI is not set
21 > # CONFIG_FIREWIRE_OHCI is not set
22 > CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_OHCI=y
23 > CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_EHCI=y
24 > CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_XHCI=y
25 > CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD=y
26 > # CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD_DEBUGGING is not set
27 > CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=y
28 > # CONFIG_USB_EHCI_ROOT_HUB_TT is not set
29 > # CONFIG_USB_EHCI_TT_NEWSCHED is not set
30 > CONFIG_USB_EHCI_PCI=y
31 > CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD=y
32 > # CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD_PLATFORM is not set
33 > # CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD_PLATFORM is not set
34 > # CONFIG_USB_OHCI_BIG_ENDIAN_DESC is not set
35 > # CONFIG_USB_OHCI_BIG_ENDIAN_MMIO is not set
36 > CONFIG_USB_OHCI_LITTLE_ENDIAN=y
37 > # CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HCD is not set
38 > CONFIG_PROVIDE_OHCI1394_DMA_INIT=y
39 > root@fireball / #
40 >
41 > So, now what? Can I tell syslog to ignore that error or do I need to
42 > beat something into the kernel?
43 >
44 > Dale
45
46 Is this your motherboard?
47
48 http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3320#sp
49
50 If so, you have 6 USB 2.0 ports, and 2 USB 3.0. The ports with blue are the
51 USB 3.0 ports. Therefore, your kernel needs EHCI (USB 2.0/1.0/1.1) and XHCI
52 (USB 3.0). (This is not including the internal connectors on your board which
53 might have a cable running to the front of your case as USB 2.0.)
54
55 No matter how special you think your setup is, you don't need OHCI. The EHCI
56 driver for the port is backwards compatible with a USB 1.{0,1} device. I've
57 tested this on my boards using the only USB 1.1 device I brought back from
58 China. If you doubt me, build your kernel with this:
59
60 CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=y
61 CONFIG_USB_EHCI_PCI=y
62 CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD_PLATFORM=y
63
64 CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD=y
65
66 CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD is not set
67
68 CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HCD is not set
69
70 boot into it, issue "tail -f /var/log/messages" and plug in your USB devices.
71 --
72 Happy Penguin Computers >')
73 126 Fenco Drive ( \
74 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
76 662-269-2706 662-205-6424
77 http://happypenguincomputers.com/
78
79 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
80 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
81 A: Top-posting.
82 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
83
84 Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting