From: Daniel Troeder <daniel@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Support of Radeon graphics cards
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 17:35:24
1 On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 11:02 +0200, "Maximilian Bräutigam" wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > i would like to buy a new computer, but i need (of course) to use gentoo. furthermore i would buy a Radeon HD 4850 or Radeon HD 4870. How are these cards supported by gentoo and does everything work fine according to ati-drivers ebuild? i need the 3d support due to some molecular modeling software.
5 >
6 > my current graphics card is a nvidia and is well supported.
7 > please, share your experiences.
8 >
9 > thank you very much in advance.
10 >
11 > kind regards,
12 > der Max
13 According to ATI (AMD)
14 https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/catalyst_94_linux.pdf
15 these grafics cards are supported by their closed source drivers. You'll
16 need these for proper 3D.
17
18 Gentoo has support for them in "x11-drivers/ati-drivers".
19 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ati-faq.xml
20
21 I have a Radeon HD 3400 (mobility) and the driver works very well. 3D is
22 good, 2D is not half as good as the OSS drivers (radeon and radeonhd),
23 but works too.
24
25 In my case suspend to ram and to disk (using tuxonice) both work well on
26 the primary display, on the secondary display I get wrong colors after
27 resume.
28
29 It's safe to say: Gentoo has proper ATI-support :)
30
31 Bye,
32 Daniel
35 PGP key @ http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xBB9D4887&op=get
36 # gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0xBB9D4887