From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NVidia setup instructions?
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 23:16:03
1 On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Dienstag 05 Mai 2009, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Brandon Vargo <brandon.vargo@×××××.com>
5 > wrote:
6 >> > On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 14:25 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
7 >> >> Hi,
8 >> >>    Is this the right page to follow for up-to-date installation
9 >> >> instructions for a 6200-based card?
10 >> >>
11 >> >> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nvidia-guide.xml
12 >> >>
13 >> >>    If it is then is it at all out of date in terms of xorg.conf setup
14 >> >> for the newer xorg-server/hald setup, or is it OK?
15 >> >
16 >> > I have the PCI version of the 6200, and I can confirm that 180.29
17 >> > (stable for my arch) work great as well as the vesa framebuffer. I had
18 >> > problems with the uvesa framebuffer a few kernels back, and never got it
19 >> > to work, though I haven't tried since.
20 >> >
21 >> > The rest of the nvidia guide looks good, though I do not use the same
22 >> > options as the guide for my xorg.conf configuration. For example, I've
23 >> > never had to set the VideoRam option in the device section, and set
24 >> > things such as NoLogo, RenderAccel, etc in the screen section. Take a
25 >> > look at [1] for all the options. That's the amd64 version, though it
26 >> > should be similar if not the same for other architectures.
27 >> >
28 >> > I don't use hal, so I cannot comment on that.
29 >> >
30 >> > I would recommend using the nvidia-xconfig utility to configure another
31 >> > xorg.conf once you get a basic X display running. It works pretty well,
32 >> > particularly regarding 3D settings and multiple monitors, so it's a good
33 >> > starting point from which to customize.
34 >> >
35 >> > [1]:
36 >> > http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/180.29/README/appendix
37 >> >-b.html
38 >> >
39 >> > Regards,
40 >> >
41 >> > Brandon Vargo
42 >>
43 >> Thanks Brandon. I'm up in X now on the 6200 AGP so it's functional.
44 >> glxgears seems sort of slow at about 230FPS but I probably don't have
45 >> things set up right yet.
46 >>
47 >> I had questions about the setup instructions as I went through it.
48 >>
49 >> 1) Do you completely drop out DRI support in the kernel? Seems this
50 >> document says not to load the dri driver in xconf and it wasn't shown
51 >> in the kernel options so I took it out. Maybe that should be enabled?
52 >
53 > no. Nvidia uses its own stuff. No need for dri in kernel.
54
55 Without DRI in the kernel I got an error message when running glxinfo
56 | grep direct.
57
58 Once I put nvidia in xorg.conf it loaded automatically. That seems
59 inconsistent with this new push to use hald and no xorg.conf.
63 >> 2) I used to have /dev/agpgart and framebuffer suppport as modular but
64 >> this setup doc seemed to go with built-in so I switched to that. I do
65 >> have the Intel chipset AGP GART support as modular and it does load
66 >> OK. Not sure if I should use that or NVidia's?
67 >
68 > no, you should use the kernel agpgart. Nvagp is a remnant from former times
69 > when there were bugs with certain chipsets and agpgart versions. Times long
70 > gone. Even nvidia devs tell you on nvnews to use agpgart and only switch to
71 > nvagp if that really does not work.
74 >> No problems getting the card up and running. Now it's a matter of
75 >> figuring out how to do it right. I am using hald but it wouldn't load
76 >> the nvidia driver automatically, opting for the nv driver. Do you have
77 >> that problem? Should I put it in modules.autoload?
78 >
79 > no. Just put the nvidia module in xorg.conf. Also make sure you set the right
80 > opengl version with eselect. At the end don't forget that the 6200 is a very
81 > slow card.
82
83 Very slow? Compared to a 9600? Yes. Compared to a Riva? No.
84
85 It's all relative. I just require it to work and play MythTV for my
86 wife. Nothing more.
89 > glxinfo and nvidia-settings can help you detect problems.
92 emerge word going on now. I'll try out nvidia-settings soon.
93
94 Thanks,
95 Mark