From: Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Good command for wiping a hard drive?
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 21:22:07
1 Deleting and recreating new, different partitions isn't enough, as the raw
2 data is still there. I would use /dev/urandom combined /bin/dd. Never done
3 this before, but *should* work. Boot from the gentoo livecd (or some other
4 livecd that provides a full working linux environment), type dd
5 if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/hda conv=notrunc . Run that about 10 times (you do
6 want it securely erased right?) or however many times you feel is necessary.
7 Use dlcfdd instead of dd if you can, as with an extra CLI option
8 (sizeprobe=of) you can get a progress bar.
9