From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 13:02:29
1 On Tuesday 03 Jan 2012 02:00:48 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 01/02/2012 07:22 PM, Dale wrote:
3 > > I always knew I was "odd". Looks like I have some company tho. Welcome
4 > > to the "odd user" group Michael.
5 >
6 > It ain't us =)
7
8 Nope. It ain't just you. It's me too. ;-)
9
10 I'd rather the old default behaviour was retained/returned to. I have to
11 admit even after all this time I will occasionally forget and run emerge -u
12 some_package, only to notice that it was added into world at the end of the
13 emerge. Even worse, it wasn't updated (because no update was available) but
14 was just added in world all the same.
15
16 Of course when I notice this I go and remove it from world manually and make a
17 mental note not to do this again. When I miss it, the package ends up in
18 world. :-(
19
20 However, I do wonder how confused could a new user end up being with this
21 (superficially) inconsistent behaviour. The -u option works fine on world (it
22 just updates packages already in world, but not on individual packages (it
23 updates *and* adds said packages in world).
24
25 I understand the logic, but for the reasons explained by Michael and Dale I
26 also prefer the old behaviour to be the default: nothing gets added in world
27 as a result of updating alone. An enotice message that informs the user that
28 just updating the particular package(s) does not mean they are added to the
29 world file and won't be automatically updated when running 'emerge -u world' in
30 the future, would educate users, along with options for adding the said
31 packages in world.
32
33 Of course, the opposite will work too; flashing a fat enotice to educate us
34 old dogs to remember to run -1 instead of -u.
35 --
36 Regards,
37 Mick