From: Jonathan <winelauncher.jonathan@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: dwnoon@××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How many ways are there for a user to increase their permissions?
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 04:31:33
1 On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 00:46:25 +0100
2 David W Noon <dwnoon@××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > If any Joe Schmoe could imbue a program with capabilities, this might
5 > be true. But that's not the way the system works.
6
7 Sorry, I think i'm missing your point.
8
9 > Only root can run the setcap program to add capabilities to a program,
10 > at least on a normal, UNIX-style security system. On a role-based
11 > security system, even root might not be permitted to do this.
12
13 If I had the root password to own system(which I do...) and I wanted Wine to uses IPX
14 without running as root. I would set "setcap cap_net_raw=ep /usr/bin/wine" as root.
15 Then I could run Wine as my normal user.
16
17 No one in there right mind would run Wine as root. If you did you may as well use Windows.