From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving the portage tree to /var
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 16:45:14
1 On 10/25/2014 09:57 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 10/7/2014 6:03 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Tuesday 07 Oct 2014 22:56:28 Mike Gilbert wrote:
4 >>> Quite the opposite. Ideally, you should remove the PORTDIR setting
5 >>> from make.conf. repos.conf is the newer, more flexible way to
6 >>> configure it.
7 >>>
8 >>> Unfortunately, that will break some of the third-party portage tools
9 >>> which parse make.conf directly.
10 >
11 >> <Scratches head> ... so are we supposed to guess this, wait for a news article
12 >> somewhere, or will it show up in an emerge log somewhere?
13 >
14 > So... would appreciate a response from someone who knows.
15 >
16 > I really dislike making systemic changes like this without really solid
17 > guidance on how (and hopefully the why too)...
20 I'm only guessing, but I don't think PORTDIR is going away for a while.
21 Eventually, portage will probably begin to warn you if you have PORTDIR
22 set in your make.conf, and will tell you to move your settings to
23 repos.conf (with a pointer to the man page or wiki). That'll stick
24 around for another while. Then, you'll get a news item telling you that
25 PORTDIR is going away in a month or so.
26
27 Finally, your shit will stop working and that's your final warning =)
28
29 More realistically, the portage upgrade might die or ewarn loudly if you
30 still have PORTDIR set.