From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Last rites: app-admin/gkrellm & plugins
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 17:58:42
1 On Sat, Jan 28, 2023 at 9:10 AM Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
2 wrote:
3 >
4 > On 1/28/23 05:35, Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 > > On Saturday, 28 January 2023 09:17:35 GMT Michael wrote:
6 > >
7 > >> Since my coding ability is even worse than Dale's I join him in kindly
8 > >> asking for a maintainer/dev to take it on and keep it running.
9 > > I too am finding it hard to imagine life without gkrellm. I think it
10 needs more
11 > > than just a maintainer though - it needs a replacement for upstream as
12 well.
13 >
14 > I"m actually the one who first heard that the original maintainer had
15 > died. (I had written to him about some support issue, and got a belated
16 > reply from his brother.) Upstream is not dead at all, the activity
17 > level is just fairly low. I tried to post to -dev, but my message never
18 > got through, not sure if it's because I'm not a dev or I made some other
19 > error in sending. The homepage is at htttps://gkrellm.srcbox.net with
20 > source at https://git.srcbox.net/gkrellm/gkrellm.
21 >
22 > The main problem is that is still uses gtk+2. They do have an open
23 > issue about that, but most of the discussion has been on why it would be
24 > so hard to upgrade. There is apparently a lot of fairly low-level
25 > graphics stuff going on, and Bill himself (the original maintainer) said
26 > something like the conversion to gkt+3 would be difficult, but to go to
27 > gtk+4 (I have no idea how far off this is) would essentially be a
28 re-write.
29 >
30 > Jack
33 I don't know enough about Gentoo anymore but couldn't some
34 smart dev-type build the whole thing as a static package where
35 if you wanted to install it you just get the binary and run
36 it?
37
38 Or does it have so many dependencies that would be insane
39 to do that? There are a couple of small MIDI/recording apps
40 I use that are that way, but they don't have much of a visual
41 interface. They look like they are from the Windows 98 era.