From: n952162 <n952162@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] What's the value-added of journaling filesystems like ext4?
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 19:53:14
1 I had a power-loss situation and when the system came up I went into the
2 grub rescue screen - my root file system was trashed.  I fsck-ed that
3 and had a ton of prompts until I did the "all" answer.  I guess it can
4 happen, every once in a while - even with a journaling filesystem - I guess.
5
6 I was able to bring up the system but then discovered that my home
7 filesystem was also trashed, hundreds of files in lost+found and many
8 gone forever.
9
10 Both filesystems ext4.
11
12 What gives?  Should I have quick  gone out and bought a lottery ticket,
13 or is journalling just hype?