From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Disk recommendations?
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 18:28:54
1 On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > I've seen some discussion of hard disks on this list recently, but I didn't
5 > notice any reference to Samsung Spinpoint F3 disks.
6 >
7 > I have two of these in my workstation; if I were thinking of adding 3 more to
8 > make a more robust system, what advice would I receive?
9
10 My boot/root/home is on one:
11 SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM
12
13 Then I have a RAID5 for storage made up of five:
14 SAMSUNG EcoGreen F3 HD203WI 2TB 5400 RPM
15
16 So far I've been using it for a year 24/7 with no problems. hdparm is
17 able to set them so they never spin down. Otherwise it seems to be
18 fast and they don't have funny sector sizes or anything.