From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: another "headless device"-question: In search of the LAN
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 12:37:37
1 On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 14:34:28 +0200, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2
3 > ...the system has no built-in RTC which still runs if the system is
4 > powered off.
5 > After power is up and eth0 is alive, the time/date has to be set via
6 > ntp-client. The rest already working.
7 > I called
8 > /etc/init.d/ntp-client start
9 > after booting the little beast and plugging in the RJ45 and everything
10 > else was fine.
11 > Currently I am experimenting with chrony (emerging).
12 > Will see, if this will make a difference ;)
13
14 Disclaimer: I've never used chrony.
15
16 The trouble with any program that polls regularly, as I assume chrony
17 does, is that you have a window between the interface coming up and the
18 clock being set. It makes more sense to me to use postup() to set the
19 clock as soon as the interface comes up, whether you call ntp-client or
20 chrony to do this.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 The trouble with life is that you are halfway through it before you
27 realize it's a "do it yourself" thing.