From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fluxbox and using kdm
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 07:34:56
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Vincent Launchbury wrote:
3 >> On 2010/10/26 07:29PM, Dale wrote:
4 >>> Is starting fluxbox without kdm as easy as typing "startfluxbox" in a
5 >>> console as a user? Surely it can't be that easy.
6 >> No, since X has to be started first. X creates windows, but just puts
7 >> them all on top of each other, with no way to move them, and no way to
8 >> switch between them except by clicking. Fluxbox just runs ontop of X,
9 >> and manages it's windows, adding decorations and a sane way to control
10 >> them. For example, try doing:
11 >> xinit "xterm -e /bin/bash" -- /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp
12 >> and run fluxbox from the xterm. It's just a layer ontop of an already
13 >> running X.
14 >>
15 >> You should be able to start fluxbox from a console with just:
16 >> startx /usr/bin/startfluxbox
17 >> which overrides the default /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc script. That should
18 >> basically create an xauthority file and run xinit, which in turn starts
19 >> X, then fluxbox, and waits for fluxbox to exit so it can shutdown X
20 >> nicely.
21 >>
22 >> Regards,
23 >> Vincent.
24 >>
25 >>> Thanks.
26 >>>
27 >>> Dale
28 >>>
29 >>> :-) :-)
30 >
31 > I'll give that a try. That is what I am looking for. I once had kdm
32 > to fail on me during a KDE upgrade. I think it was a version mismatch
33 > of some kind because later on as it emerged more packages, ir worked
34 > fine. So, I'm looking to make sure it works with kdm, which it does,
35 > and without kdm, which I am about to find out.
36 >
37 > Thanks much.
38 >
39 > Dale
40 >
41 > :-) :-)
44 Just to confirm the results. The command startx /usr/bin/startfluxbox
45 worked fine here. I forgot to do this at first so I will add this. You
46 have to stop xdm/kdm first. I guess xdm/kdm locks the process.
47
48 Other than forgetting to stop xdm, it worked fine. Thanks much. I now
49 have a backup GUI. So now a KDE upgrade can bork on me and I can still
50 have something.
51
52 Dale
53