From: Madhurya Kakati <mkakati2805@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Newbie question
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 17:38:32
1 The gentoo user community is so helpfull. Thanks guys.
2
3 On 5/25/10, Arttu V. <arttuv69@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > On 5/25/10, Madhurya Kakati <mkakati2805@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> Hi,
6 >> I am currently using archlinux and windows 7 and want to try out gentoo.
7 >> I guess grub will be overwritten by gentoo but will it contain the
8 >> options to boot arch kernel images automatically? I really dont wanna
9 >> mess up grub.
10 >
11 > You'll minimize your grub configuration work and pretty much
12 > neutralize any risk to your currently installed OSes by testing and
13 > trying out Gentoo in a virtualized system.
14 >
15 > For example VirtualBox is freely available and takes only a few mouse
16 > clicks to configure a virtual machine specifically suitable for Gentoo
17 > (or Ubuntu, or Linux Mint, or Fedora, or OpenSUSE, or ...), then you
18 > just attach the CD ISO to the virtual machine (clickety-click, 3
19 > clicks if it's on the Desktop?), and boot (doubleclick). Next you do
20 > the install, which in Gentoo's case means following the Gentoo
21 > Handbook.
22 >
23 > You can keep important tools like irc-client, your favourite search
24 > engine and Gentoo Handbook browser window running in the host OS,
25 > jumping between the host and guest with a single mouse click and right
26 > ctrl key to get back. And that's just using the default settings out
27 > of the box.
28 >
29 > Try it out once. It hooked me after the 15 minutes it took to make the
30 > first virtual image (and that's where I read all the labels and
31 > options). Naturally, YMMV.
32 >
33 > --
34 > Arttu V.