From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kdemultimedia-arts-3.5.10 and the arts flag
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 00:15:10
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Saturday 14 November 2009 01:17:13 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Just picking on this one since it is newer. ;-) I finally got through
5 >> the other stuff, with arts enabled since it griped about the change
6 >> before, and I am now disabling arts. I think it wanted it so badly
7 >> because I was doing a preserved-rebuild and other packages had it
8 >> enabled. I don't guess a -N option would take on that emerge.
9 >>
10 >> I think I did this once before and my sound disappeared. Everything
11 >> went mute so I may be back. It may just be a setting in KDE or
12 >> something that needs changing. That was a while ago to. I barely
13 >> remember it. Then again, maybe it wasn't sooo long ago. What did I
14 >> have for breakfast today? ^_^
18 > The only reason arts ever existed at all was to do sound mixing in software in
19 > the days when hardware generally did not do that.
20 >
21 > These days alsa takes care of all of that. OSS-4 does a better job I hear, but
22 > in any case you do not need arts. If you did, how would it be possible to hear
23 > sound in a flash video in a browser on a non-KDE system?
27 And I think that was my problem. It would only play one sound at a time
28 and some things hogged up the sound system. Mine makes a sound when I
29 change desktops for instance and it would hold onto the sound system for
30 a minute or so before other sounds could use it.
31
32 It has been a while so I couldn't remember the details, just that it
33 wasn't working right. It works now tho. I played a video and changed
34 desktops and could hear them both. Yeppie !! No arts system.
35
36 Dale
37