From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ~gcc-4.7.0
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 16:20:08
1 Am Dienstag, 29. Mai 2012, 08:58:52 schrieb Michael Mol:
2 > On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 4:30 AM, microcai <microcai@×××××××××××××.org>
3 wrote:
4 > > 2012/5/29 Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
5 >
6 > [snip]
7 >
8 > >> I'm mostly looking forward to Bulldozer support and RDRAND.
9 > >
10 > > LOL I thought no one buys it
11 >
12 > The average decent-quality AMD-supporting motherboard that supports
13 > the level of contemporary features I want costs 100-130 USD, and I
14 > generally go for a CPU in the range of $150-$180. So that's a total
15 > ticket price of about $250-$310 USD. I've been using AMD machines in
16 > my home for five or six years, now; generally, when one box gets
17 > upgraded, parts of it (especially the CPU) get put into a different
18 > box to upgrade that. That hasn't been possible on Intel.
19 >
20 > An Intel-supporting motherboard with the level of contemporary
21 > features I want becomes my first hurdle. Just for the base set of
22 > features I'd want (6 current-speed SATA ports, max "supported" RAM of
23 > 32GB, LGA1155), I'm looking at $230 and up. For a processor?
24 > $200-$320. And I'd want an i7, not an i5, so we're talking upper
25 > range.
26 >
27 > Yes, the early Bulldozers don't measure up to the Phenom II, but
28 > amdfam10 is going away, and Bulldozer will get past that mark. Rather
29 > similar how Intel's early NetBurst cores didn't manage to beat Pentium
30 > IIIs, but later ones did. (Yeah, NetBurst eventually bit the dust,
31 > and for good reason. I have to think, though, that a lot of what Intel
32 > learned with NetBurst went into preparing them for Sandy Bridge's
33 > incredible overclocking range.)
34 >
35 > So, yeah, while I'd love a performance-grade Intel desktop box, it's
36 > going to be hard to justify the price ticket. Even if I don't manage
37 > to get an IvyBridge desktop box, I do want to get my hands on an
38 > IvyBridge i3 motherboard; that RDRAND instruction is going to be sweet
39 > in a network gateway machine, and the power consumption deliciously
40 > low.
41
42 and maybe buying intel is not a good idea at all:
43
44 http://semiaccurate.com/2012/05/15/intel-small-business-advantage-is-a-
45 security-nightmare/
48 #163933