From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE5: no desktop
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2017 15:17:26
1 Robin Atwood wrote:
2 >
3 > I finally grasped the nettle and did the Plasma 5 upgrade. The first
4 > machine went OK eventually (apart from the week spent resolving
5 > blockers), so I thought the second would be much smoother. And so it
6 > was, until I logged on. I got the splash screen, a bouncing ball as
7 > something started and then a black screen relieved only by a cursor
8 > and a couple of apps in the autostart list. kwin-x11, plasmashell,
9 > ksmserver are all running, it seems like something got omitted in the
10 > install. Does anyone know which binary starts the window manager and
11 > taskbar, etc? I did the usual things like create a new user, rename
12 > .kde4, to no avail.
16 > I have already posted on the Gentoo forums but didn't get much help.
17 > You can see the post with the sddm log here:
18 > https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1057060.html. Hopefully the vast
19 > intellects of the Gentoo list will have an idea! My current workaround
20 > is to install lxqt as the desktop; it works pretty well, if a bit
21 > rough around the edges.
25 > Cheers
26 >
27 > Robin
28 >
29 > --
30 >
31 > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
32 >
33 > Robin Atwood.
37 > "Ship me somewheres east of Suez, where the best is like the worst,
38 >
39 > Where there ain't no Ten Commandments an' a man can raise a thirst"
40 >
41 > from "Mandalay" by Rudyard Kipling
42 >
43 > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
64 > --
65 > This message has been scanned for viruses and
66 > dangerous content by *MailScanner* <http://www.mailscanner.info/>, and is
67 > believed to be clean.
68
69 When I did my upgrade a long time ago, I had a similar issue. There is
70 a menu to select which part of KDE you want to login to. I can't recall
71 the names or even which one is the correct one for sure but think it is
72 the one with plasma in it. I think the default is some other one which
73 didn't work for me at least, wayland comes to mind for some reason.
74 Anyway, on the login screen, check that drop down and try a different
75 one. It may not be the problem but at least it would eliminate it. On
76 mine, it is in the upper left but yours could be different. It's the
77 same place you would select Gnome or some other desktop if you have them
78 installed.
79
80 May not help but worth a try I guess. ;-)
81
82 Dale
83