From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ncurses: reductio ad absurdum
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2015 12:09:24
1 On Saturday 29 Aug 2015 04:32:48 Dale wrote:
2 > walt wrote:
3 > > On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 15:29:20 -0400
4 > >
5 > > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
6 > >> I used to think git looked really complicated until I sat through a
7 > >> one hour talk that focused mostly on the data model. Once you
8 > >> understand the data model, you understand everything. That doesn't
9 > >> take a lot of time.
10 > >
11 > > Does that talk happen to be available on youtube or some equivalent?
12 > >
13 > > I'm a git fanboi in spite of its failings. I've been using git since
14 > > Linus and Larry McVoy divorced (amicably, claims Linus) over where
15 > > the kernel source repo would reside. That amicable divorce spawned the
16 > > development of git in the first place (says Linus).
17 > >
18 > > I'm no expert on git, but 'git bisect' has allowed me to file countless
19 > > (for countless >= than the number of cc's of vino in my glass) bug
20 > > reports over the years.
21 > >
22 > > I see that all the gentooers who replied to my post have been lingering
23 > > in this mailing list for years. (You are Old Farts, by my definition.)
24 > >
25 > > All gentoo Old Farts are here because we are gentoo addicts and not one
26 > > of us could abandon gentoo even if we wanted to. Including me.
27 >
28 > That may help me too. It took me a while to have a sorta understanding
29 > of how Gentoo is set up ebuild wise and such and now I feel like I did
30 > back in 2003. Having it on youtube or something would be really good.
31 > I did find this tho:
32 >
33 > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73I5dRucCds
34 >
35 > I'll try to watch it later.
36
37 Don't.
38
39 You'll waste an inordinate amount of time listening to the drone of someone's
40 uncontrollable verbiage, which contains less that 1% meaningful information.
41
42 I suspect that 10 minutes should be enough to explain what git is, what github
43 is, how you use them.
44
45 Unfortunately, any videos I found over a 10 minute youtube search didn't
46 provide me with anything useful to share. :-(
49 Regards,
50 Mick