From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to support a package going out of tree
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 14:19:29
1 On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 9:01 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 12:13:32 +0100, Raffaele Belardi wrote:
3 >
4 >> One of my son's favourite games (hedgewars) is going out of tree due to
5 >> dependency on deprecated QT4.
6 >>
7 >> I already have a local overlay with a modified hedgewars ebuild which
8 >> adds support for a non-standard USE flag but I suppose this will not be
9 >> sufficient to continue using/building the game. Once the dependencies
10 >> will go out of tree also there will be little chance to rebuild the
11 >> game if necessary, right?.
12 >
13 > Right, so copy the dependencies to your overlay too. Portage will warn
14 > you when they are slated for removal.
17 Or use an overlay that already contains them. I haven't paid much
18 attention to whether somebody is maintaining a qt4 sunset overlay.
19
20 Keep in mind that qt4 is deprecated for a reason. This will
21 definitely be a steadily uphill battle, and you might run into issues
22 you'll have to deal with yourself.
23
24 In addition to the ebuilds you might need to check to see if they use
25 any eclasses (which seems likely for anything like qt). Also check
26 for any Gentoo-hosted patches that might go away - you'd need to host
27 them yourself and edit SRC_URI, or just stick them in files/. You
28 should probably also save a copy of all the distfiles somewhere in
29 case a URL dies, as Gentoo won't be mirroring them for you. If
30 upstream completely stops distributing a file you might be stuck if
31 you didn't save a copy.
34 Rich