From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] IDE/USB problem : not both disks recognized on same IDE channel
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 09:51:51
1 On Samstag 05 September 2009, Rohit wrote:
2 > Hi there,
3 >
4 > I rejoin the list after 5-6 years. Was able to fix most of the things
5 > myself but this one has me totally bowled over.
6 >
7 > I have an IDE disk enclosure (can house 2 disks per IDE channel, a total of
8 > 4 currently plugged in) which makes IDE disks available to the main
9 > computer via 2x USB 2.0 connection (One USB 2.0 port connected to IDE
10 > adapter). The problem I have is that the computer is able to see only 1
11 > IDE disk per channel. At a time, as a result, my server can only see 2
12 > disks instead of 4 connected, one disk per channel only.
13 >
14 > I have tried all possible combinations of jumpers (master/slave,
15 > cable-select, force-slave-present) for each pair.
16 >
17 > Interestingly - Windows XP / YetAnotherReiserFS GUI is able to see/read all
18 > 4 (2 pairs) disks so I think it is something that needs fixing in Linux
19 > kernel/drivers and the enclosure box is not the source of problem.
20 > I confirm individual disks are fine as well.
21 > I am currently running Linux 2.6.27-gentoo-r8.
22 >
23 > Has anyone else encountered this problem before ? /proc/config.gz is also
24 > attached.
25 >
26 > Thanks in advance,
27 > Rohit