From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unwelcomed non-native language support
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 08:48:29
1 On Sat, 30 May 2015 13:57:34 +0300, gevisz wrote:
4 > Nothing crashed so far and this, in my view, proves that should not
5 > be an obligatory dependency for any package in my wold file.
6
7 That only shows that you have not used any function that requires
8 gettext, not that none use it.
9
10 > > You can use "emerge --depclean -pv gettext" to determine which do.
11 >
12 > $ emerge --depclean -pv gettext
13 > --- Couldn't find 'gettext' to depclean.
14 > >>> No packages selected for removal by depclean
15
16 It needs to be installed, now that your update has pulled it back in try
17 depclean again.
18
19 > However, running
20 > # equery depends gettext
21 > before forcefully unmerging the gettext package,
22 > I got the following response:
23
24 equery depends always used to be unreliable when it came to USE
25 controlled dependencies. emerge --depclean gives the authoritative answer
26 and it considers the portage tree, USE flags and dependencies at the
27 time it is run.
28
29 > app-editors/gvim-7.4.273 (nls ? sys-devel/gettext)
30 > %%% Even gvim! And it definitely does not
31 > crash without gettext
32
33 % grep gettext /var/portage/app-editors/gvim/gvim-7.4.712.ebuild
34 nls? ( sys-devel/gettext )
35
36 Yes, equery is still getting it wrong, gvim only depends on gettext when
37 built with USE=nls.
38
39 > > So it seems to me that gettext is a false lead and that the root
40 > > of your problem lies somewhere else.
41 >
42 > May be, but as I have already written it, I cannot think of a better
43 > explanation why started in a default profile Firefox uses non-English
44 > menu, but started in a new profile, it uses the English menu for the
45 > same youtube video on the same web-page.
46
47 Because there is a language setting in your current profile. If this were
48 a system default, the new profile would exhibit the same behaviour. If
49 Firefox is the only program that is misbehaving, and then only with an
50 existing profile, I would not look further afield for blame.
54 Neil Bothwick
55
56 Puns are bad, but poetry is verse...