From: Matti Nykyri <matti.nykyri@×××.fi>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Dhclient and buggy ISP
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 07:59:08
1 Hey
2
3 I have a following with Telia ISP and their dhcp-server... I'm using
4 dhclient to get dynamic IP from ISP and also to update DDNS. When
5 dhclient does DHCPDISCOVER the ISP will issue a new lease for 43200 sec
6 after a normal DHCPOFFER, DHCPREQUEST and DHCPACK cycle; and the
7 interface gets bound to the given address. Now when the dhclient does a
8 subsequent DHCPREQUEST, server will issue DHCP with a declining
9 lease-time ending at the same time as original 43200s lease. By
10 releasing the lease and doing a new DHCPDISCOVER the lease time is reset
11 to 43200s. The ISP how ever keeps track of the MAC and will always issue
12 the same IP.
13
14 When the lease-time of 43200 runs out the default gw stops responding
15 and the internet connection dies. The only way to then get it to work is
16 to manually start a new discover cycle (ifdown - ifup).
17
18 I would like to configure the interface so, that there would not be an
19 interuption in network traffic! Because the IP doesn't change, I would
20 like to configure the WAN interface to stay up with the IP all the time
21 and get dhclient to do DHCPDISCOVER to the ISP to update ISP-firewall to
22 let the traffic through for the next 43200 sec. If the IP changes for
23 some reason, I would like the dhclient to update the WAN interface.
24
25 Would there be a ready way in Gentoo to achieve this? Or anyway :'D
26
27 Ps. I hate my ISP :(
28 Pps. I have other problems too...
31 -Matti