From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ~amd64 : X11 (?) crashing
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 14:14:45
1 Alan McKinnon schrieb:
2
3 >> Sometimes my gnome-session (2.28) works for hours, sometimes for minutes.
4 >
5 > What happens when X crashes? Does the X session go away? Is there an error
6 > message? Or does it just hang?
7
8 The whole X-session restarts, as if I do "xdm restart" or
9 "ctrl-alt-backspace". I get back to the login-prompt of gdm.
10
11 No error message, I also browsed the xorg-logs, dmesg, /var/log/messages
12 ... nothing related as far as I understand.
13
14 > Your symptoms as described are random, I find far more often than not that is
15 > hardware, usually the power supply, ram and video card (in that order)
16 >
17 > Give your hardware a thorough stress test, then only start playing with
18 > downgrades
19
20 Hmm, I don't know ... why should a hardware-problem only shoot X11 ... ?
21 It should crash then also when I dualboot windows xp for gaming (it does
22 not crash there even under quite high gaming load).
23
24 OK, RAM might do that, I had a customers pc which rebooted (! reboot,
25 not only kicking off one app) here and then because of defective RAM.
26
27 I start some memtest while having my coffee just to check that out for a
28 start.
29
30 But I really assume some other reason, as I only recently went up to
31 ~amd64 ... for me it is much more likely that maybe the step up to
32 xorg-server 1.7.x or something related might be the reason here.
33 bugs.gentoo.org didn't really list such a bug, maybe I should file one.
34 But to me it seems a bit early as I can't reproduce it or really show
35 some error-messages so far.
36
37 Greets, Stefan