From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strange mplayer symbols on a terminal
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 06:19:41
1 On Thursday 20 September 2007, Rumen Yotov wrote:
2 > On (19/09/07 22:45) Miroslav Puda wrote:
3 > > On 13:13 Wed 19 Sep , felix@×××××××.com wrote:
4 > > > On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 08:05:16PM +0100, Mick wrote:
5 > > > > When I launch mplayer from aterm I get this type of symbols on my
6 > > > > terminal:
7 > > >
8 > > > I get them too, and have always chalked it up to some locale problem
9 > > > not worth solving. I just ran it with stdout redirected to a temp
10 > > > file which I attach here. FWIW, they show on the term as all sorts of
11 > > > real characters butwith diacritical marks, plus a few line feeds and
12 > > > some normal chars. If I look at the file with emacs or cat it, they
13 > > > all show up as ordinary question marks.
14 > >
15 > > Characters of your output appears like characters from rusian alphabet
16 > > (azbuka) on my terminal. It seem like regular russian words.
17 > > --
18 > > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
19 >
20 > Hi,
21 >
22 > These are bulgarian cyrillic symbols, can read them (messages,info etc.)
23 > Check the LANG var in make.conf, LINGUAS too.
24 > Please post the output of: 'locale -a' as a user plus 'env | grep LANG'.
25 > HTH. Rumen
26
27 This is it:
28
29 $ locale -a
30 C
31 POSIX
32 el_GR
33 el_GR.utf8
34 en_GB
35 en_GB.utf8
36 en_US
37 en_US.utf8
38
39 (of course I don't have the cyrillic symbols/languages in my player output).
40 --
41 Regards,
42 Mick